Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Transition from 6th to 7th Grade


I woke up at 7:15 on September 9th, not sure what to expect in a new building. I thought back to my sixth grade year. Would seventh grade be as much fun? Would it be awful? Would it be as hard as everyone had said, with four hours of homework every night, tests and quizzes all the time, teachers not realizing how much work the others were giving and definitely no more “mental health days” (where I used to be able to convince my mom to let me have a break and take a day off)?  And what about grades?  That certainly was new, and not fun to think about. While preparing my backpack, I let my mind wander through my class schedule. I liked my classes and had good friends in each of them: a definite plus. That first day of seventh grade, I had no idea what to expect.
Now, with the first trimester finished, I realize how much I like the Upper School. Though I’m still unsure if the seven-day schedule makes sense, I love the new sense of freedom the Upper School gives. It’s fun to socialize with my friends in the hall, to play football on the big lawn, and to have the flexibility of study halls, art electives, and different club options. Athletically, it is great to have the opportunity to make varsity, JV, or an ISO (for me being squash). None of these options were available for us in the Middle School. Finally, the Upper School building is different from the Middle School, with its three floors, an elevator, and a big Commons area (definitely an upgrade from the Middle School in every way). Though I didn’t know what to expect in the Upper School, it has been a great experience and I look forward to the rest of this year and the next.-by Mason P.

No comments:

Post a Comment