Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Core Beliefs (TIB)

Aisha M. 



No matter where I may roam in life, I will always have my family. Family is the heart that keeps the spirit alive. Family will always be there no matter what situation a person may be in, cheering them on. My family has urged me to go out into the world and experience new things, to take risks that they thought were necessary for me to take. They give me all the love and comfort I could ever imagine in this world. But last year I had a true reality check.
Last fall was very hard for me. My grandfather passed away at the age of sixty-eight. I remember that when I was a little girl, my grandfather used to take me on some of his trips. One trip in particular sticks out most in my mind. My grandfather wanted to go to Pennsylvania to visit a friend. Of course, I went with him.  The trip there was very memorable. We were on the Jersey Turnpike and he stopped off at a rest stop. I was very thirsty and wanted a soda, so he bought me one. Little did he know that it made me EXTREMELY hyper. The rest of the way there was spent by me singing, screaming, and laughing randomly. That was his last time buying me a soda while I was in the car with him.
Before my grandfather got sick, he used to take my brother and me to IHop and then to Cherry Lawn Park every Sunday. He would chase us on the playground and push us on the swings. We would play hide-and-seek which was very fun, even though he would always find me. We would stay out for hours, enjoying the park and enjoying each other’s company. He would tell us stories on the way back home about the time he and his friend sued Richard Nixon for small businesses and won, as well as many other interesting and bizarre stories.  
 My grandfather had five strokes and was paralyzed on his left side. After his fourth stroke he also couldn’t speak and was placed into a nursing home. My family would go see him whenever we had the opportunity. Sometimes, we would take him out for a ride or sit outside with him, just so he could enjoy the outdoors. We would have many “remember when” times when we just sat down and reminisced about the good times we all had together. It was very hard to see him in these conditions and it hurt all of us deeply to see him that way.
After a while, my grandfather became very ill. He then had to be transported from the nursing home to Stamford Hospital. We went to visit him often because we all knew that the time that we could spend with him would soon be over. I remember the last time I saw him.     My family from Virginia came up to see him as well. Some of my family members left the room with tears in their eyes. I too started to cry. Before leaving, I kissed him on the forehead and said “I love you”. That was the last time I kissed him. A few hours later, I got the news that he died. It was very hard to accept that he was gone forever, and to this day, it still is. I love him so much and miss him a lot.  
I urge you all to enjoy the time you have with your family, for tomorrow is not promised and not a single human is immortal. Say “I love you” until you can’t say it anymore. Hug each other until your arms get tired. Laugh, cry, and smile about the good times. Be there for one another. My grandfather taught me that life isn’t promised to anyone tomorrow. He spent as much time as he could with my family and enjoyed each minute of it. He stressed the importance of family and told me that nothing comes above them. Although it took me a while to understand, I now know. Time with family is precious and should be cherished forever.   

No comments:

Post a Comment