Sunday, November 6, 2011

Outdoor Action Trip

           This year the class of 2012 was able to experience OAT.  It was a new adventure for all of us, and we are grateful that this trip brought us even closer together. Through challenging hikes and freeze-dried food, we were able to work as one through the Appalachian Trail.  In total we hiked 20 miles.  It was tough terrain, but the singing and laughing usually kept us occupied.  The heavy backpacks were also a challenge.  These backpacks were full of the necessary supplies we would need for the week ahead. 
            For some of us, the nights were the worst part.  Shelters and tarps were available, but sleeping under the tarp was challenging.  The wind in the night would blow my group’s tarp out of the ground.  The sounds of raccoons also haunted us in the night.  It seemed like every time I heard a twig snap, I would wake up!  Knowing that we were all together made the spookiness of the night not as frightening.
            The three days of hiking was truly a great time.  The second day of hiking was the longest of the week.  On this day we would hike ten miles.  Although it was a hard hike, we were all together and we made the best of it. 
            I would say that OAT was one of the best experiences I’ve ever had at Country School.  I’ve never felt closer to my classmates than I did after the Outdoor Action Trip.  Even through the stress of climbing a mountain, and several injuries, I’m so happy to have been a member of the Jupiter Squad. - By Olivia S.

No comments:

Post a Comment