Friday, March 11, 2011

“Too Much Caribbean Adventure”

Kate C.  
            Well, this was an amazing day. We woke up late, had an amazing brunch, and spent the entire day at the beach. Oh! And we found a sea turtle. It was a perfect day in the Caribbean. The only way to end it was to drive off a cliff. Wait, what?
            Five years ago, my family took an amazing spring vacation in St. John. We had a big house, we went swimming, and we went hiking and did all those other cool Caribbean activities. But we also had our not-so-cool moments.  One time we went on an Easter night hike to the top of the highest mountain in St. John and on the way down, all of our flashlights ran out of battery power and it was pitch black. My mom also fell on a cactus, but that was pretty funny. Not so funny for her, though. But the worst thing that happened was on the way to our beach house.
We were driving up the cliff that the house was on top of in our new rental jeep. My dad had to drive slowly because the cliff was extremely steep. The narrow, one lane dirt road was like a giant spiral staircase, and it was very scary to look out the window on the cliff side of the road. It wasn’t very pretty on the other side of the road either because there was a giant cliff wall there. Suddenly, my dad stopped. I was scared because, being seven, I thought we were going to roll back down the cliff. Then I rolled down my window and looked out in front of us. There was a giant cement truck blocking us! Now this doesn’t seem very bad, but the road was barely wide enough for one car, much less two.
            All of a sudden, everyone started honking and screaming and yelling. My mom started yelling at my dad to back down the cliff and let the truck through, and my dad was yelling at her that if he tried to do that we would fall off the edge of the cliff. The truck driver was honking at us to do something, and my sisters were yelling at everyone to “shut up.” So by now, being the youngest, I was crying. This was because I hated to see people yelling and mad at each other and because most likely, whatever we did, we were going to die.

No comments:

Post a Comment