Sunday, June 12, 2011

Flying High

By Zoe M.
As I crossed the threshold and took my seat, a million thoughts were rushing through my head.  My stomach filled with butterflies as I watched my fellow civil rights populace find their places and get settled in for the ride.  I looked down at my ticket to make sure I wasn’t dreaming.  It was about time I travelled by airplane. The hardest part was waiting for the plane to actually take off.  We rolled about the runway, turning multiple times before the craft got set up to leave.   
Takeoff.  The plane started moving forward a lot faster.  It suddenly left the ground and a moment later I caught a glance out the window.   Things got smaller as we flew higher.  Everyone else seemed very casual about the fact that we were 30,000 feet above the ground.  I could not believe it.
I finally learned what it was like to ride a plane.  It is an experience I hope to soon relive.  I very much enjoy plane rides.  Trying something new can always be scary at first, but now I am mostly just concerned that my next plane ride will not be as exciting, as the plane ride back to New York was not quite the same as the first time.  I learned something about myself.  I like the thrill of not being able to anticipate what is about to happen.  Sometimes it’s better when you do not know what to expect. Out of all the things I learned on the civil rights trip, I believe this discovery will make the most impact on my life.  Whenever I am challenged to try something new, I’ll embrace it.  From now on I will chase that feeling of unknown territory and getting out of my comfort zone.

No comments:

Post a Comment