Sunday, June 12, 2011

Gospel Singing

By Kaitlin B.

I would have to say that out of many amazing and fun experiences, the Ebenezer Baptist Church was my favorite experience on the Civil Rights trip. Before going to the service, I tried to picture what the singing, the dancing, and the happy energy would be like. The real experience was a hundred times better than it was in my head. We got up from bed, put on our fancy clothes, and walked over to the church. As soon as I stepped foot in the church, it was like a wave of joy and happiness hit me, going through my body, making me smile. We found our seats in the pews, front row to be exact, and got ready for the coolest experience of our lives. The gospel singers walked in, filling in rows behind the altar. The first song was amazing. Everyone was on their feet soulfully clapping and singing. During the song, all the members of the church came to us, and shook each of our hands, welcoming us to their church. 
Some of the hats the women wore were crazy. There was a purple-feathered hat, a high pink hat, and many more crazy hats. When the preacher was talking, he wasn’t talking about things we hear about every time we go to church at home; he was raising his voice up and down, absorbing everyone in the church. He made me realize how going to church during the civil rights movement lifted everyone’s spirits, and kept them from breaking down. When the preacher talked, people in the church would say, “amen” or “Praise the Lord.” 
Leaving the church, I felt like there was so much happiness in me, and in everyone else. I wish I could go to church like that every Sunday, or even every day. I can imagine that church got the blacks through the week and gave them something to look forward to during the hard times. 

No comments:

Post a Comment