Sunday, June 12, 2011

Swimming with Sharks

By Mayze T. 

It’s impossible to deny that sharks are intimidating. Before I traveled to Florida this Trips Week, I, like many others, felt anxious where sharks were involved. After hearing about Jaws and seeing news reports on shark attacks, it was hard for me to view sharks as anything less than cold-blooded killers. Yes, I had heard the occasional environmentalist demanding the protection of the animals, but I believed that they could protect themselves perfectly well. Almost immediately after we arrived in Florida we were sent to a “shark workshop”, where I had my first face-to-face encounter with one of these animals. In this case, the sharks were frozen, so face-to-face was a relative term.
Still, I had no intention of seeing one of these creatures in the wild. Soon our instructor, Danielle, explained to us the purpose of this workshop. She told us that because so many civilians and fishermen believe sharks to be dangerous, many kill the sharks if they encounter one. Disgustingly, people will remove the shark’s fins in a process known as “finning” and leave the shark to die in the water. Danielle explained to us that the sharks rarely attack people, and usually only pursue surfers who look strangely similar to seals. This put the sharks in a completely different light. Instead of an animal on a murderous rampage, the shark was given a bad reputation due to a few simple mistakes. I found myself wanting to help in any way I could, and even though I had a few misgivings, I realized the importance of protecting these animals. It was a miraculous turn of events when, two short days later, I found myself swimming within a few feet of a reef shark. 
        My heart was beating fast, not from fear but from excitement. I swam down near the ocean floor, getting a close look at the gills, rough skin, and the famous fin. In a few moments, much to my chagrin, the shark began to swim away. My group followed, determined not to lose sight of the creature. We swam into a very shallow area, and there was a second shark with the first! The new shark was larger, a little over five feet.
Although we were enthused, the sharks seemed a little annoyed. Soon they started circling. Danielle had explained to us that this meant the sharks were getting anxious, and wanted privacy. We respected that they wanted space and left quickly. This encounter will remain with me for many years to come. Not only were we able to see an incredible animal, but we were also able to respect its needs when the time came. My Expanded Studies trip gave me a new perspective on an animal which once terrified me, allowing me not only to face my fear, but to care for the very sharks which I was once frightened by.

No comments:

Post a Comment